"Research by social psychologists shows that people who grow up in different cultures do not just think about different things, they actually think differently. The environment and culture in which people are raised affects and even determines many of their thought processes" -Marc Prensky, 2001

Tuesday, April 8, 2008

What I've learned

When I started this project, I honestly had no idea what cultural literacy was. I thought it solely meant to be literate about cultures of the world. That is one aspect of it, but it is obviously so much more. It is about how our culture affects all aspects of our lives and how we respond to it. When I took the cultural literacy test, I think I scored in the 75% range, which I was kind of disappointed with, especially since I love history. But that just goes to show that you cannot be affluent in just one aspect of culture, but in all areas in order to be culturally literate.

As I become more familiar with this literacy, I have learned to look deeper into things. For example, I've always heard the saying 'an eye for an eye', but I never took a second to think of how old that saying was or even where it came from. The fact that my parents and grandparents used that phrase shows that it has been around for a while. It is the little things like that which have convinced me to look deeper into the things I read and hear. Whenever I watch the news and when they talk about world events or wars, they seem to always add something or compare it to the way things used to be. When I hear that part, I try to listen closely, because I know that I wasn't around when that event happened and want to become culturally literate about it.

No comments: