"Research by social psychologists shows that people who grow up in different cultures do not just think about different things, they actually think differently. The environment and culture in which people are raised affects and even determines many of their thought processes" -Marc Prensky, 2001

Friday, April 4, 2008

What does it mean to be literate?

To be literate in something means that you have the background knowledge and skills in a specified area. If I say that I am computer literate, it means that I can navigate myself around a computer and have the basic skills to use the computer to do what I need it for. A culturally literate person can read and write about other cultures and understands the basics of that culture. They may be able to recognize the traditions or foods of that culture, and etc.

No comments: