"Research by social psychologists shows that people who grow up in different cultures do not just think about different things, they actually think differently. The environment and culture in which people are raised affects and even determines many of their thought processes" -Marc Prensky, 2001

Monday, April 7, 2008

Working with the new technology

With blogging I am definitely using writing and viewing in a new way. By writing on a blog, I feel that I am writing more in a way that I would speak rather than a formal paper. It feels much more open and laid back. Also, in terms of viewing, I am displaying my information in a new way, which would be a new view for the reader. I like that I can have a variety of lists on the side of my blog, along with pictures to help me capture my thoughts.

What is challenging about this new technology would probably be keeping it up. I know many of my friends have had blogs before and just forget about them. I think it is hard to keep up, because it may be something that you are not used to doing on a regular basis, or if you get out of routine of doing it, you may just forget to go back and write something. Another thing that I think is challenging about blogs would be using them as a valid source for papers, because since they are someones opinions most of the time, it is hard to know if what you are reading is factual.

Aspects that are the same as the traditional forms of print would be that it is still someones thoughts written down. A blog is just a post of a person's thoughts or opinions. It is also similar to a formal paper in a way that I have some sources listed on the side of the blog. The links that I have provided are most of the sources that I used to gain the information in this blog.

As I'm working with the technology I realize that there are so many different settings to play around with. I like the additions you can put on the side of your blog, but I wish they made them more mobile. For example, I wish that I could have a huge title over my blog, but the site doesn't allow for that. Also, sometimes I get sick of the template that I'm using and want to switch it up a little bit. Even though you can switch up the color scheme, it can be rather tedious and time consuming.

If the students in my field were using blogs, they would need some reading, writing, and viewing skills. It is important that what they put on the blog is reader friendly, because the point of a blog is to have someone read it. If you are posting something that is going on the world wide web it is important to be conscious of what you are putting out there for people to see and read, and to be conscious how you represent yourself. Also, with the options of responding, I think it would be important for the students to respond to each others' posts, in order to provide feedback on a topic. Students will need reading comprehension skills in order to understand what their peers or blogging about and to do other research on the internet if need be. As for viewing they need to understand what is appropriate and inappropriate to use in their blog. I assume that those rules would be given out by the teacher. I think it would be difficult for my students to blog, because many of them have a hard time typing. However, it would make for good practice, and their posts do not have to be very long.

No comments: